with the new year comes a fresh start. while many americans will make plans to change their habits, a large majority of resolutions are focused on health-related outcomes.
that commitment to focusing on physical health extends to preventative care for your eyes. there are several lifestyle habits that can have positive implications for sight and help combat issues that lead to vision impairment or blindness.
to kick off 2019 with your eyes in mind, we recommend five lifestyle habits that lend a hand to healthy vision:
- eat healthy. the holidays can be especially tempting for poor diet choices. make sure you eat plenty of leafy greens, colorful fruits and foods containing omega-3 fatty acids for good eye health. our optometrist can also make recommendations for supplements that support eye health.
- get active. try to incorporate at least 30 minutes of exercise into your everyday routine. healthy weight and normal blood pressure levels are key to improving your overall health, including your eyes.
- avoid smoking. most smokers are not aware that their tobacco use is a preventable cause of blindness. avoiding smoking, or taking steps to quit lowers your risk of vision impairment and vision loss.
- wear sunglasses. sunglasses serve as a fashion statement, but the right pair can shield your eyes from the sun’s harmful uv rays. prolonged and high levels of uv rays can lead to serious health problems, including cataracts and macular degeneration.
- schedule an annual eye exam. an annual eye exam is recommended for everyone, even when vision issues aren’t apparent. having a routine comprehensive eye exam is the most important thing you can do to prevent or treat vision issues.
we want to help you achieve your new year health goals. schedule your comprehensive eye exam today!